Monday, July 11, 2005

A week in scenic isolation



We just returned from a week at the cottage, which is situated on an inlet the feeds into Northeastern Georgian Bay. The water is as low as it's ever been this year, to our dismay, but there was much to make the trip worthwhile, like the scenery!

Imagine a week of that, only to return to a sprawling city in a heat wave. Happens most summers, and it makes me sick. Being up north relaxes me, reminds me of what I do know and understand, and makes me terminally allergic to smog, sprawl, crime, crowds, and traffic.

Anyway, we saw a baby eel!




The river - truly an inlet, as mentioned earlier, ends in a harbour that was one a thriving shipping centre, where iron ore would to travel and from Sudbury by rail - actually a little rail carrier called a "jitney" - and be loaded on and off large ships.` Eventually, the ore docks were dismantled, and the railway workers were so enamoured of the spot that they built cottages out of the wood from the docks. My family worked for the railway, and built its original cottage in the 1920s. Now only a cottage community remains - the real northerners call the cottage "camp"; the harbour industry had been reduced to a pretty neat ghost town. Here's a shot of the old power house and the remnants of the docks:




I could go on, and will some day. In the meantime, I just wanted to share one of the most important parts of me. Too many city dwellers are completely oblivious to life up north.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Cam said...

Thank you - it's beautiful.

July 12, 2005 5:12 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Glad you like! :)

July 14, 2005 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home