Sunday, September 11, 2005

We met on the train.

It was a hot, sultry day in August. I was on my way to Ottawa, where I would be put up in a swank hotel and paid lots of money to do very little. The train trip was also paid for, and I was feeling pretty damn decadent. As soon as the refreshment cart came around, I knew that the cheese platter and some white wine could only add to this glorious feeling, so I ordered both. The cheese platter was plain, and a bit overpriced (this was the train, after all, duh) but tasty enough to satisfy me.

But the wine! Oh, the wine. They brought me a wee bottle of Chateau des Charmes 2002 Chardonnay, and I first thought, “Oh. Plonk.” I then noticed the bottle’s VQA label, and decided not to condemn it before trying it.

Yum!

Oaked, but balanced with a pleasant fruity lightness that gives a slight impression of sweetness. The perfect wine to sock back on a train when you’re pretending you’re something else. Needless to say, I have bought it since – at $10.95 a bottle, why resist?

The 2002 vintage is still readily available at the LCBO, for now, i.e. until I buy it out. When we visited the winery at the end of August, they were already offering the 2003 for tasting, and I’m not sure I fancied it as much.

Cheers!

Hic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home