Wednesday, December 14, 2005

anti-vagueness whine

Now that Toronto is a megacity, vagueness rules. For instance, a newscast might place a story in Toronto's east end. Thanks to amalgamation, that could be anywhere from the Don to the Rouge. It drives me nuts when in a single day, one news item from our "east end" might come from northeast Scarborough, and another from South Riverdale. Same with the "west end": Bloor and Bathurst is nowhere near northwest Etobicoke, but you'd never know it from the news.

To me, North Toronto means the area between old midtown and the old city limits at the south end of Hogg's Hollow, not Keele and Steeles, or my old neighbourhood in Willowdale.

Even if we are all lumped into the same municipality, I'd be a happier girl if newscasters continued to refer to the former cities of the old Metro Toronto by their original names. We would all know what they meant. Really! We would!

Rant over. Must make coffee.

1 Comments:

Blogger kelly said...

I agree with you. I also hate the term "GTA". If you aren't in 416, then you aren't in Toronto.

In my world, the east end is East York, Riverdale and the Beach. The north is anything above Eglinton. Downtown is south of Bloor, and the west end is anything past Bloor West Village. Everything else is either in the centre, or not in T.O. at all.

December 14, 2005 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home