Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Fifth's first.

And now, to put my recent cranky posts in perspective: I'm pregnant.

I am thrilled to be knocked up, but the condition has certainly made me less tolerant of others' self-indulgence, inefficiency and stupidity. But I can just as easily turn around and love the entire universe so much that I want to give the world a Coke. Go figure.

I've been spared morning sickness, and as my first trimester ends (I'm 12 1/2 weeks along), I think it's safe to say that I won't get it at all this go around. A million old wives say that that means it's a boy.

This gestation has been the topic of a locked Livejournal for some time; that's as much detailed writing as I care to put forth about it, so I think I won't bore readers of my public blog with the nitty-gritty, unless something really exciting happens.

Surely it's nap time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clearly, I'm going nutso over here from your news. :) Congratulations, that's fantastic! :) Whee! What a blessing.

And now you must practice your appreciative-yet-noncommittal facial expression and tone of voice as you use this phrase endlessly: "Okay, thank you very much for that advice."

December 04, 2005 10:21 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Bless your heart, Kathleen! We're pretty tickled here at the homestead. And yes, I can already feel my mouth twitch into Permasmile whenever I hear a sentence beginning with the words, "You should..."

December 04, 2005 11:03 PM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

^^ lol

Congrats Gillian! That's such happy news! :)

December 05, 2005 8:27 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Thanks, Kelly! I like to celebrate the way I know best: by having lots of naps.

December 05, 2005 9:52 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

You are wise to nap. :)

Sadly, the 'you should's will be neverending from hereonout. Not even wedding planning inspires so much unsolicited advice as do pregnancy and childrearing. The nice thing is that it's all motivated by a desire to do the very best for all children ('best' according to the point of view of the advice-giver, anyway). The downside is that it's annoying as stink.

Beware also of the nastier, passive-aggressive forms of 'you should'. When my daughter was three weeks old, we were at a wedding and my husband was burping her. Some lady came up to them and addressed her words to the *baby*. "You tell your daddy he can burp you harder, he doesn't have to be so scared that he'll hurt you. He won't get a burp out of you with those tiny taps, no he won't!"

Hint: Taking deep, relaxing breaths ain't just for labour. ;)

But I'm not trying to scare you. :) Well-meaning dorks aside, this is such a joyful process. Enjoy.

December 05, 2005 3:34 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Oh, I would have elbowed that lady in the teeth! Or at least foisted the child onto her in order that she may demonstrate her superior burping method, and just long enough to ensure that her lovely outfit was spit up upon.

Nonetheless, Thanks for the encouragement! :) I have an awful lot of learning to do, but I won't let too many people know that. The biggest thing to get used to, I think, will be trying not to pet our child like it's a cat. That's bound to take a few months.

December 06, 2005 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home