Saturday, January 21, 2006

Election fun.

I'm not sure about validity of the formula behind it, but here is a site with predictions of how Monday's federal election will turn out, riding-by-riding. Thanks to Kelly for the link!

My riding is Beaches-East York, and the site puts the Liberal incumbent and NDP candidate in a tie for 38.1% of the vote, with the NDP candidate prevailing, presumably after a recount. Could happen. Lawn signs here are split, and I have to say that I'm confused as well. The NDP candidate is Marilyn Churley, a hand-picked East-end-loving leftist superstar of sorts. I think many Beachers are groaning, "Why her?" because she's a community and environmental champion that has the endorsement of both our city councillor and of David Suzuki, otherwise local voters would hold their noses and vote Liberal with no hesitation, only to help keep the Conservatives out of power. Churley's hot enough to put a big ol' wrench in that thinking. East Yorkers generally vote Liberal, though, and I predict that our Liberal candidate will prevail by a nose.

I still don't know how I will vote, and that's saying something. Maybe I'll move my oboe over a ouija board with one hand, and a rifle with the other, and see what I'm told. g-i-l-l-i-a-n-i-s-a-n-i-d-i-o-t?

There will be seven moons in the sky before our riding sends a Conservative to Parliament Hill, but I must note that there seems to be far greater support here for that party than I've ever seen before, and I'm not surprised.

I am surprised that the site suggests so little Green Party support in our riding.

I can't wait till Monday - not because I expect to be thrilled with the outcome, but because elections make me giddy, regardless. Whether I'm giddy with delight or with nausea remains to be seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home