Sunday, January 01, 2006

Looking ahead

The New Year always makes me wistful. We have much to celebrate and anticipate, but each New Year we celebrate is a year further away from my mother. Yes, I know, she's still with us, etc., etc. I feel like more earth is tossed on her grave, however, each time we clink glasses, sing Auld Lang Syne, and flip over the calendar.

This has the makings of a good year. Baby on the way, husband applying to work at various school boards...it's exciting! I can't even say where we'll be living in a year, but I look forward to seeing what the future holds in that regard. A change might be excellent. Of course, having had my car broken into last night just fuels that sentiment. Another story. Never mind.

I think I'd see more of the best things about Toronto if I didn't live here. We'd make more of our visits, and see more wonderful cultural offerings, and do all the things we're too busy or lazy to do here and now when it's all right under our noses. I say that because I read some journals of folks who live outside of the city, and when they come to visit it, they do things that make me think, "I wish I'd seen or done that." The city has a lot to offer, but my sense of how it feels to live here has changed over the past few years as crime rates have risen, house prices have skyrocketed, pollution has worsened, and the streets and subways have become woefully congested. The husband agrees. We both grew up in sleepy suburbia, and even the neighbourhood I grew up in has changed wickedly, and I wouldn't feel like I was going home if I moved back there.

But who knows? If my husband gets a job in our local board, we might just sit tight.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what happens next. For me, that's pretty damn good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home