Friday, January 06, 2006

This is not a knitting blog.

I knit a swatch! It looks like ass, but I knew it would. Alright, so I had to consult three sources and resort to a video just to learn to cast on (I'm a visual learner. Shut up.), but I did it, and in front of the hockey game, no less! That was crucial; if I can't knit with the game on, there is simply no point in my knitting.

This blog needs more photos, I've decided. I was going to resort to gratuitous cat shots, but now that I have some honest-to-Pete bad knitting to show off, I sheepishly present:



The photo is small for a reason. I added two, er, "bonus" rows early on and had a moment of moment-ness when learning how to cast off, so it looks like a cat chewed one corner.

Did I mention that I'm not a bad oboe player?

That's all you're gettin' out of me for a while. Until then, have a gratuitous cat shot.



Now I'm going to clean my glasses with my swatch. Farewell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Congrats! :) Knitting is one of those activities with a learning curve. Most of us suck rocks at the beginning and then it improves with practice. The swatch ain't too bad for a first knitting effort, I gotta say. (I no longer have my first effort - it was thrown out long ago. If I had been allowed to play with matches at the time I would have burned it. It was a frightening example of beginner knitting. And it was baby pink to boot. Eurgh.)

(You are a wonderful oboe player, yes. What did that reviewer guy call you in high school? A jewel? :) That was awesome.)

January 10, 2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

I am just stunned that you remember that adjudicator's comment! "Gem," I think it was. :P And thank you -- it's good that I'm reminded of that, as both my career and motivation are utterly stagnant at present.

Thanks also for not laughing at my swatch. I hope I can undertake more of this knitting thang without feeling guilty that I'm not practising, cleaning or putting away Christmas decorations.

January 10, 2006 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home