Saturday, February 04, 2006

When work gets you down, keep eating.


For an unpleasant portion of last evening, it looked as though my blog had gone tits-up. I tried changing the background, and the whole thing disappeared, replaced by icky "403: You suck" messages. It seems to be back, though. So, pray for me now.

Not that I have anything to say. It's been a weird week, fraught with career crises that I won't bore you with.
But the eatin's been good. The career crisis has left me with more free time than I thought I would have this week, so it was off to the mother-in-laws for delicious Thai curry on Wednesday, an evening stroll in mild weather down to Mr. Greek on Thursday, and pasta with chickpeas and lots of parsley and garlic last night, courtesy of Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen. So simple, so good, and loaded with much-needed fibre for the pregnant gal. I even used herbs from the balcony; the recipe calls for sage, but I used cold-bitten thyme and rosemary instead, and it tasted just fine! We even had parsley that was alive. And green. In February. Some winter this is.

It's an inspiring book, but not full of quick-and-dirty healthy stuff that I would hope for in a "suppers" book. If you Google "dinner" along with "supper" you'll see that there are a gazillion takes on both terms and their differences. In my family, "supper" once meant a meal that was both earlier and lighter than dinner. Now we use the terms pretty much interchangeably, but "supper" is still the beans-and-scrambled-eggs on toast kind of meal, in my wee brain. (Mind you, if I still need a cookbook to inspire me to open a can of beans, make toast and scramble an egg, I'm in trouble.) Whatever. To each his own, as my Googling has proven.

The husband and I have decided that we need to begin weekly meal planning, so I'm not up the creek, heating a can of soup and eating it over the sink ten minutes before I leave for choir two nights a week. We will save time! and money! and cute animals! because we'll be eating a bit less meat without making a big deal of it. Stay tuned for the compelling results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home