Friday, March 24, 2006

Borje, baby!


I saw Borje Salming at the Eaton Centre today! He came out of Sears and went into Roots, walking briskly and swaggering ever so slightly. Our eyes met for a second and he looked a little nervous and harassed, so I left him alone to shop in peace. So, Mr. Salming, in case you're into Googling yourself, I was the slack-jawed pregnant lady in the striped sweater. Love me: I didn't stalk you, though I was sorely tempted.

Salming was my very first crush. I guess I'd have been about seven or eight, and I fancied him because my mother did, like I'd have known any better. So yeah. I'm a dork. I let a Hockey Hall-of-Famer escape without troubling him for an autograph, which my unborn son might have treasured someday. On the other hand, I avoided possible rejection from said Hall-of-Famer.

In other news: This will sound odd coming from a lifelong Maple Leafs fan, but....I'm glad they lost last night, and I don't want them to make the playoffs.

I want them to do miserably so they get a high draft pick, and then use the bloody draft pick to draft someone, you know, young and good, whose dream it is to be there, and keep that person in the organization rather than trade him for some old fart with five months left in his contract or two years left in his career.

They could look for a new coach while they're at it. And trade their captain for more young talent and get a really passionate player to be captain. If they did all those things, the team might mean something, being the product of years of good scouting and coaching. And I might like them again.

Yeah, yeah. Everybody's got an opinion. Sorry, eh.

Go Habs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

What? A crush from before Gustav Mahler and Russell Johnson? Even before *Nick Rhodes*?!? My goodness. ;)

(I know I know, who am I to talk. My crush at age seven - as you might remember - was dear little John Yardley. Who never remembered how to spell 'train' correctly, despite all my coaching.)

Hm. Maybe I should stop reading your blog. It brings back things I'd forgotten I'd forgotten. :)

March 24, 2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

I know. I feel old. ;P

Oh boy. I'd forgotten your crush on dear wee John. And should he ever Google himself and end up here, he should be warned: I think Marnie liked him too! I, however, fancied little red-haired Gordon, to whom I expressed my devotion by chasing him to the end of the schoolyard. Not that he could hold a candle to Borje!

I think it took me nearly thirty years to discover how to handle oneself when one has a crush. :-/

March 24, 2006 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home