Monday, April 17, 2006

Trying to keep it simple.


I'm suffering from Baby Product Review Overload. If only I could quit. My sister in law has loaned me a fabulous book, Baby Bargains, which I recommend to anyone who needs the straight goods in a hurry. That said, I am never content with the straight goods from a single source - I am guilty of constant cross-referencing on Epinions (which keeps making my computer crash) and Amazon. Too often the reviews are contradictory enough to make me want to tell this whole pregnancy and birth idea to go bugger itself.

But noooo. I, Little Miss Indecisive, must make all the right decisions or I will not sleep. The thing is, what works brilliantly for one person will suck copious numbers of eggs for the next. And what ends up working for me might be useless to anyone who would ask my advice in the future. There are just too many choices, and any number of right answers. Right now I am in Sling Hell. I think there's nothing for it but a trip to a store that has a a few kinds, and try 'em on.

Balls.

Hey Kid: about this kicking thing. Is that all you're doing, or are you throwing in a little pinching and biting for laughs?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I have so been there. Baby Bargains book, Epinions, conflicting reviews, fervent desire to do the best, driving need to research the crap out of everything...all of it. It blows.

Here is the good news:

- You're going to do GREAT. Seriously.
- Many important baby items are not 'if I get the wrong sort we shall all suffer' kind of stuff.
- Many things can be returned. For credit, even.
- Gift certificates are marvellous. You will probably get many of them as presents.
- Things can be bought after the baby comes. Online purchases can be made, stores can be phoned ahead of time, and husbands can be sent out with very specific lists.
- Doing your research beforehand, which I can tell you are doing a GREAT job of, gives you an advantage when shopping post-partum; you'll more easily identify what you need once you have an idea of your parenting style and the baby you have.
- Newnewnew babies truly have very little in the way of real, honest NEEDS where 'stuff' is concerned. Diapers and mummy's bosom top the list, and I know you already have at least one of those.

I am very, very familiar with Sling Hell. I researched the crap out of it, got all confused as to what would work best, and felt like I was no further ahead than when I started. I sewed my own in the first week (non-adjustable, pocket-style) and detested it. Then I got a Heart-to-Heart as a present and adored it. But it still had its faults. For my next baby I'm planning to just get a long length of breathable cloth from a fabric store and do the wrap thing. Have you seen www.mamatoto.org ?

Hope this helps. Mostly I'm just trying to project reassurance. If you need to be further conflicted by my opinions about any products, just ask. :)

April 18, 2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

You rock, yea verily, dear Kathleen. Thank you for the encouragement! And you're so right; my baby will not vanish in a puff of smoke if I get the wrong damn stuff.

I have been giving the Heart2Heart some consideration, and would love to know: what was not-so-hot about it?

My ideal sling is one that doesn't mangle my back or squish the kid's spine, and that my husband could wear and still feel vaguely manly and coordinated. Neither of us is one for voluminous mounds of silk or flowing Guatemalan woven earthy glory, but the crucial thing is comfort and ease of use.

I've got a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch on loan, and will ujse it indoors for the first few months, but the child will bake in it if we venture out in the summer.


Next Hell: Diaper Hell! I think I know what we'll be doing, but I never pass up a chance to second-guess myself! So, what do you use? Conflict me, baby! ;P

April 18, 2006 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home