Friday, May 19, 2006

Just spooky.


I phoned the diaper service to arrange our first delivery. When I gave my phone number to the girl who answered, she said, 'No way - that used to be my number!'

And indeed it did. I asked if she was so-and-so, and she confirmed it. We get calls for her now and then, most recently from an old friend who noticed that their old house had gone up for sale, and more calls for her former husband, mainly from his creditors. She didn't sound thrilled, so I didn't pursue it. She probably finds it creepy that I now know where she works, as would I in a similar situation.

Anyway, our first delivery will come a week Monday, along with a pail and some newborn wraps. We also have a wee stash of newborn disposables, thanks to a friend who donated a 'diaper cake' - anyone heard of these damned-sounding things? - from her shower. Apparently, at some showers, some dear soul builds something that looks like a wedding cake out of new diapers, and the game is to guess how many diapers are in the cake. This friend (who uses the same diaper service I've signed up for) had three showers, and got three of these bloody cakes. She did use a fair number of disposables in the first weeks. but the still had a cake to spare. So I'm set, for now!

The baby will be full-term next week, and the stuff we should be doing NOW has snuck up on me. I have started packing the hospital bag by tossing in the recommended six pairs of scrungy huge underwear that I don't care about having to throw out. We need to install the car seat, and, well, I'm sure there's more, but now I need to clean.


Babycenter.com says that by now we should be putting the finishing touches on our nursery.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Here's a thought to make you feel ahead of the game...you can't possibly be worse than I was. I left the pregnancy photo shoot *and* the vacuuming (pretty important for a home birth) until the last possible moment and ended up being in passive labour while doing both. (!!!)

(Yes, those procrastination skills I displayed in high school have been honed to a fine art since then. Le sigh.)

May 20, 2006 2:13 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

What?! You're due... like...now? That's amazing! I keep thinking you've got months to go. How exciting!

May 20, 2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Ah, Kathleen. I never handed anything in on time in high school. Never. Two graduate degrees later, I'm not much better.

Vacuuming? What is this vacuuming you speak of? My, but I am a bad housekeeper, but knowing you were still at it that close to the birth cheers me somewhat. ;-p


Hee - pretty much, Kelly! My actual due date, or 40 weeks, is June 15, but babies are considered "full term" at 37 weeks, so giving birth any time after that is considered normal, not early. Two friends of mine had their first babies in the past six months, and both were three weeks early. I don't think that will happen to me, but you never really know!

Good. Lord. I'm nervous. Eeeeeeeek.

May 20, 2006 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home