Sunday, May 07, 2006

Poor cats


Last night we shut the cats out of our room for the first time. This is to get them used to it before the baby comes, because there is no way that our curious tabby would keep her claws out of the Kid if she found him interesting. She has been known to forget that my foot is my foot and attack it while I sleep. If she spots a fabric hair elastic on the dresser, she'll decide it's prey, leap up there silently and make off with it during the night. We'd have no warning if she decided to pounce on the Kid. And if she must go, the old white cat must too, even though he would probably leave the Kid alone. Oh, this will be hard. We'll set up lots of cosy places for them in the living room, and let them back into the bedroom for their daytime naps.

The tabby is so attached - she follows me everywhere, and even howls for me when I'm in the bathroom too long. As I type this, she is wedged under my chin and purring madly. Poor little beastie.

We attended the Newborn Essentials class at the Swanky Leaside Preggo Centre this morning, and it was pretty useful re: postpartum hospital life, bathing, swaddling, nursing, and burping. The instructor also suggested disabling the answering machine after the birth, and having only a recorded message. Something like, "If we need you, we will call you. We love you. Please bring casseroles. Thank you."

She skipped completely over diapering, though: "Oh, it's so straightforward, you'll figure it out!" Um, no. She also seemed to suggest that if we were to try cosleeping, that we, the parents, would have to make do without pillows, the argument being that the baby could work his way underneath and smother. Now I understand that no tiny infant should ever sleep with a pillow of his own, but I'm damned if I'm going to sleep without one. Perhaps I misunderstood, as I have never come across that in my reading. A guardrail, though, I can go for. Time to update ye olde registry

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

We co-slept, and I didn't give up my pillow.

The way I figure it, first of all, if you're breastfeeding and co-sleeping, you are going to put the kid's head level with your boob, which means it's nowhere near a pillow. Also, a child who is young enough to be at risk of accidental pillow smothering is too young to be mobile enough to wedge itself under the pillow.

Although be warned, an otherwise non-mobile baby *is* able to squirmingly inch its way closer and closer to the owner of The Milk Bar throughout the night. :) If our daughter was on my side, then I would end up nudging my husband further along the bed as I backed up to give the kid room. If she was between us, I was the one who got the shaft. I am still amazed at how I was able to stay on the bed and sleep with only a few inches of room on my side. A guardrail is definitely a good idea...but the ultimate beneficiary may be you, not the kid. :)

May 07, 2006 9:46 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Thanks Kathleen! I figured that I would probably not have to go pillowless; the instructor of this class has a definite preference for cribs and bassinets. As we have a king-size bed, I think we'll all squish in there safely and happily.

A friend pointed me towards this. I think it looks great - too bad it's $200 US!

May 09, 2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow! That does look like a great product. (Why are so many great products so expensive?) And I am totally jealous of the king-size bed. We have a queen, but we got to sleep in a king on our honeymoon and it was incredible to have so much room! I think you'll all squish quite squishlessly. :)

May 11, 2006 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home