Sunday, August 20, 2006

Attack of the killer zucchini.


 Cooking is still a juggling act when living with a nursing infant, but I'm getting more and more done. Iain's now interested enough in the world (read: daddy's shirt collar, chip crumbs, clumps of cat hair on the floor) to be distracted from my boob long enough that I can whip up some simple dinners.

Last week I got to the farmer's market for the first time this year, and bought a cauliflower and a zucchini. Whee. The cauliflower was turned into a lovely curry last week, and that one, gigantic zucchini made its record third appearance in a meal last night in a stirfry.

The zucchini at the market were huge, and cost $1. Three meals later, we still have some left of the one I bought.

Zucchini at this time of year are prolific, to say the least, even in parts of the world that don't grow much. Our neighbour at the cottage used to tend his zucchini patch faithfully; it was almost entirely sand, but he had so much frigging zucchini proliferating in that barren wasteland that we would run and hide when we saw him, lest he sock us with another bushel of them.

I think I've nailed my stirfry sauce (read: it always tastes the same no matter what I put in it). Catalina salad dressing is my secret weapon.

I've also nailed my cooking method for jasmine rice. Well, it's Rachael Ray's method. Bring 3 3/4 cups water to a boil, stir in 2 cups of jasmine rice, cover and cook on low for 18 minutes. It works every time, so I never follow package directions.

Ooh, how exciting! Next week: What will I do with a bunch of rotting celery?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home