Saturday, September 30, 2006

A small, boring crock.


Many moons ago, when I was engaged, I couldn't cook worth a damn but was gripped with domestic zeal. So I bought a crock pot. A big 5-quart one with inserts for making dips and so on. I had visions of big-batch cooking, freezing leftovers, having gay-in-the-1961-sense parties with dips that people raved about for weeks, and living happily ever after. Well, it hasn't really happened, for various reasons. Too many recipes call for a smaller crock, like a 3.5-quart one, and I just never got into doubling them. So I've been underfilling my crock and burning stuff. Whee! And parties? Hell no! I can't have people over because I have no freaking room, thanks to my giant crock pot!

Well, the time had come, with the baby that ate my life and all, to get the smaller crock I should have gotten in the first place. But can you find an old-fashioned round 3.5-quart crock anywhere these days? Hardly. They're all huge, or itty bitty. So today I said "screw it" and got a 3-quart oval one.

It looks awfully puny, boring and white, with nary a fruit stenciled on it. No kitsch value whatsoever. But it will save my life and give us something to eat besides ye olde Kraft Dinner.

Good grief, what a lame entry. This is what comes from sitting around all day watching baseball with a baby on your lap.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rebecca said...

trying to figure out why I have to dig deep for your entries these days.

You can have my 3.5 one.

October 08, 2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Dunno - must be the concussion! I hope you're feeling better.

I'm actually loving the 3-quart one I got, but thank you!!

October 08, 2006 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home