Monday, October 30, 2006

Hooray for Standard Time!

is one of my favouritest bloggers ever, and here she makes me laugh about one of my snarliest beefs about time changes: folks forget how to drive when it's suddenly dark at rush hour. I notice it every year. Nonetheless, I am thrilled to see Standard Time again. When I was little, Daylight Saving Time ran from the last Sunday in April to the first Sunday in October. And boy, did I think time changes were cool! Then it was changed to the first and last Sunday of those months respectively. I could deal because it was always Standard Time again by Halloween.

But mercy, now that I'm an old fart and the thrill of DST is waning, I must say: are mornings ever dark at the beginning and end of DST. How depressing, to get up in the dark and go to work in the dark for weeks and weeks! And next year DST will last even longer - from the second Sunday in March to the first one in November - essentially four weeks longer than now, and two and a half months longer than when I was a child. That's a damn long time to be packing an already-stressed, depressed workforce off to commute in the dark. Can the economic benefits possibly be worth it?

And I've said it before, but trick-or-treating in daylight is lame, lame, lame. Any law that makes kids trick-or-treat in daylight and grownups go to work in the dark must have been made by someone who doesn't like people very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home