Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Wine or breathing?


It's early to be posting about wine, but I'm afraid I'll never get around to posting ever again if I keep waiting for perfect posting conditions.

Since I quit drinking in pregnancy, I have ascertained with no doubt that mould from alcohol is indeed my worst allergen. Abstaining has made my sneezing fits and chronic congestion just about disappear. Too bad, because I love alcohol! But hey, I love breathing too. Who knew. So I won't quit drinking altogether, but I certainly drink less now that I'm nursing. I'll take time to savour my wine more, and think about it. With less congestion, presumably I'll pick up more of the complexities of what I do drink.

At the local LCBO a few weeks ago, I sampled Mad Fish 2005 Sauvignon Blanc Semillon and liked it a lot. It's got this great, pleasing balance and practically invisible aftertaste - normally not a desirable trait in a wine, but I was amazed at how clean it was. I bought a bottle, loved it, and have bought another since. I think it's $14.95. Not too shabby.

***

I'm watching the Food Network, and Everyday Italian featured some incredible-looking seafood dishes. I am drooling. Is it me, or is that show one of the few "traditional" cooking shows on the air? The rest are gimmicky or reality-based (making me cringe. I love food but hate tension and conflict) or assigned a storyline. Poor Ina Garten - Barefoot Contessa and its recipes are fine, but each show revolves around some limp premise, like her friend's had a bad day and needs a great meal to keep her from jumping off a bridge.

It seems I'm not alone in feeling annoyed by this. I'm also not alone in granting an exception to Licence to Grill. Slurp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home